Saturday, June 23, 2012

Blessings

Are you counting your blessings?

I googled blessings and this is what it came up with:
1) you are literate
2) you can manage your money and bills
3) you have working faculties
4) you are not disabled
5) you are not incarcerated
6) you are not poor or broke
7) you live in a safe community
8) you have good credit
9) you earn decent wages
10) you have your dream job
...and the list continues on.

Now what does the Bible say about blessings:
1) blessed are the poor in spirit
2) blessed are those who mourn
3) blessed are the meek
4) blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness
5) blessed are the merciful
6) blessed are the poor in heart
7) blessed are the peacemakers
8) blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness
9) blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.

It's amazing to me the difference in the two different thoughts on blessings. Preston and I have noticed lately just how shallow the word blessings is used. In commenting on my experience with the world's definition on blessings I find them very far away from God's true blessings. I have met some people in the jungle of Ecuador who have nothing and are not able to read, but they know God with a joy like no other. They are blessed. I know people in Honduras that have no money to pay their bills. They are blessed. I know two incredible little boys who are so filled with joy and love, yet are 2 1/2 yrs old and can't sit up. They are blessed. Paul was in prison for his teachings on Jesus. He was blessed. There are so many people all over the world with nothing. A poverty we can't comprehend. They are blessed. Blessings from God have nothing to do with money. I know missionaries living in dangerous parts of the world. They are blessed. So many people around the world don't have a dream job or much money. They are blessed. Blessings are not defined as the world defines them. The world is pretty much counter in every area of the Bible. The greatest blessing is to honor and glorify God in our lives.

One of my favorite songs is Laura Story's "blessings". If you have not heard it I encourage you to look it up. Some of the lines that speak so powerfully to me are: "we pray for blessings, we pray for peace. Comfort for family, protection while we sleep. We pray for healing, for prosperity. We pray for your mighty hand to ease our suffering. All the while You hear each spoken need. Yet love us way too much to give us lesser things." (just a great reminder of how God has such great things prepared for us and what we ask for and think we want is no comparison to what He wants for us). Later on it goes to say, "What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise". This phrase always reminds me of Nathan, Owen and Mia. The trials of Nathan and Owen are great. They have and will continue to have a great demand of needs for quite a while but all the therapy, surgeries, doctor appointments "the trials" are more than worth the it to experience the blessing of life with them. We have experienced God on a much deeper level. The trial of Mia's death was very painful but I feel it was God's mercy to her to let her be home with Him. We will get to see her for all eternity and she never had to suffer here. Further on in the song she writes, "...we know that pain reminds this heart that this is not, this is not our home. It's not our home". Just a great phrase to remind me that eternity with Him is what matters and all this is temporary.

I am blessed to have an ever deepening walk with God. I am blessed he chose to use me in the lives of Logan, Nathan, Mia and Owen. I am blessed to have a wonderful husband to grow closer to God with each day. I am blessed by the trials He has given me for they have brought me closer to Him. How are you counting your blessings?

No comments:

Post a Comment